University of Wales Trinity St David logo.

Imaging the Bible in Wales.
The Bible and the Visual Imagination.
Imaging the Bible in Wales. Publications Work in Progress.

 

Projects

Staff

Contact Us

News

Events

Research Opportunities

Links

 

Home

 

 

Church of St Mark, Brithdir

The Church of St Mark was closed in 2003 and is now in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. Situated a few miles outside Dolgellau, it was built in 1895–1898 under the patronage of Mrs Louisa Tooth, widow of the Revd Charles Tooth.

Designed by Henry Wilson, an enthusiastic proponent of the Arts and Crafts Movement, the church exhibits various Art Nouveau tendencies, and is Mediterranean in character.

The image to the right shows Charles Tooth and his guardian angel, to the right hand-side of the magnificent copper altar panel, designed and made by Henry Wilson. The panel depicts the Annunciation to Mary, and is shown in full below.

East end of the Church of St Mark, Brithdir.

Exterior view of the Church of St Mark, Brithdir.
South side of the church.

We will be looking at other churches built or furnished at the expense of wealthy patrons with local connections, such as the church at Llanfair KIlgeddin, and All Saint's Glasbury.

The Vine Motif on the Pulpit | More about St Mark's

Part of the altar panel at St Mark's Church, showing Charles Tooth and his guardian angel.