University of Wales Trinity St David logo.

Imaging the Bible in Wales.
The Bible and the Visual Imagination.
Imaging the Bible in Wales. Publications Work in Progress.

 

Projects

Staff

Contact Us

News

Events

Research Opportunities

Links

 

Home

 

 

Church of St Mary, Fishguard

St Mary’s Parish Church, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, was built in 1855–57 on the site of a medieval chapel, to the designs of an amateur architect, Thomas Clark of Trowbridge. The church is in an idiosyncratic Romanesque style, but contains several features of interest, including important work by John Petts (1986 and 1989) and Celtic Studios (1953, 1969 and 1970).

Three light window by John Petts. with text 'Peace Be Still'.
John Petts, Peace Window, 1989

Two light window by Celtic Studios showing Jesus with three disciples.
The Risen Christ Appears to Thomas, window made by Celtic Studios, c.1953

Of particular interest is a painting of the crucifixion, which has an unusual composition including St Veronica. The painting serves as a reredos to the south chapel altar.

St Veronica at the Foot of the Cross

Imaging the Bible in Wales Database

View of the interior of the church, showing some of the stained glass in the chancel.
Chancel of the Church of St Mary, Fishguard, showing the east window by John Petts, 1986